History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Banquetting House of Old Campden House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0523 / 52°3'8"N

Longitude: -1.7746 / 1°46'28"W

OS Eastings: 415549

OS Northings: 239350

OS Grid: SP155393

Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.84Y

Mapcode Global: VHB13.6P51

Entry Name: East Banquetting House of Old Campden House

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Last Amended: 8 June 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1341980

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126115

Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Campden

Listing Text

1.
5224 CHURCH STREET
(east side)

East Banquetting House
of Old Campden House
(formerly listed as
East Pavilion to
Old Campden Manor)
SP 1539 6/66 25.8.60

II* GV


2.
Between 1612 and 1627. For Sir John Baptist Hicks. One of a pair flanking
Old Campden House. Similar fretted Flemish-inspired Baroque. Fine quality ashlar
with Cotswold stone roof. Main storey is to grand terrace, 2 storeys below, the
lower one vaulted. Pierced strapwork parapet and corner pinnacles with strapwork
panels and spiral chimney columns with cut-finials. Cut finials to saddle-stones.
Five bays, arcaded (part blocked) with jewel-motif imposts, centre larger with
original panelled door having radial panelling in the tympanum. The side arcades
had flat balustrades (blocked). Steps up to small stone balustraded balcony on
north side. Perpendicular-inspired windows to north, and east sides of main floor,
3 light mullioned windows with continuous string to lower floors. Two stepped
buttresses to north.Tudor arch doorways. Partly restored circa 1900, but in poor
condition at time of resurvey. A rare and important survival of early C17 country
house life and of this exurberant style of architecture.


Listing NGR: SP1554939350

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.