This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6149 / 52°36'53"N
Longitude: -1.9904 / 1°59'25"W
OS Eastings: 400748
OS Northings: 301898
OS Grid: SK007018
Mapcode National: GBR 2BR.1LX
Mapcode Global: WHBFV.DJFQ
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219042
Location: Walsall, WS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Blakenall
Built-Up Area: Bloxwich
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Blakenall Heath Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WALSALL MB BLAKENALL HEATH
SK 00 SW
4/7 Christ Church
Church. Opened 1870, with tower completed 1882, by Naden of Birmingham.
Limestone rubble with Bath stone dressings and tile roofs. Comprises a
nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, a tower at the west end of
the north aisle, transepts, and a lower chancel with north vestry and
south organ chamber. The three-stage tower has angle buttresses, an
embattled parapet, and corner pinnacles. The bell openings are each of
two trefoiled lancent lights. Above the openings of the middle stage is
a clock face. The west doorway at the base of the tower is moulded with
pointed arch. The west window of the nave is of five lights with geometric
tracery. The aisles are both of three bays and have windows of three tre-
foiled lights under depressed 2-centred heads. The south aisle has a gabled
porch between the first and second bays. The clerestory has cusped round
openings. The transepts each have a 3-light window under a pointed head
with geometric tracery. The east window is similar, but of five lights.
Interior: the nave arcades are of four bays on the north and five on the
south. The eastern bay on each side opens into a transept and is divided
from the rest of the arcade by a pier with attached columns and two carved
heads. The pointed arches are carried on round columns with foliated capitals.
The roof has trusses supported on stone corbels, with king-posts rising
from arch-braced collars. The pointed chancel arch is moulded and has
shafts as responds, carried on corbels. The chancel windows contain late
C19 stained glass. (VCH, Staffs, Vol 7, p 237).
Listing NGR: SK0074801898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings