History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Gunness, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5897 / 53°35'22"N

Longitude: -0.7277 / 0°43'39"W

OS Eastings: 484312

OS Northings: 411098

OS Grid: SE843110

Mapcode National: GBR RVCX.7X

Mapcode Global: WHFF6.S1ND

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346861

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165796

Location: Gunness, North Lincolnshire, DN15

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Gunness

Built-Up Area: Gunness

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gunness St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
East Butterwick

Listing Text

SE 81 SW GUNNESS DONCASTER ROAD
(east side)

3/39 The Old Rectory
-

GV II


Rectory, now house. 1864-6, with minor alterations of 1885-6, by the
diocesan architect, James Fowler of Louth. Rock-faced limestone with
ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof with lead copings and wrought iron
finials. Gothic Revival style. 3 rooms wide by 2 rooms deep with rear
services extension. 2 storeys, irregular fenestration. Balanced
asymmetrical front: central full height bay containing entrance and
stairs projects under a hipped roof, with another projecting bay to the
right. Chamfered plinth, flush ashlar quoins, moulded string course.
Plank door with decorative strap hinges in ashlar surround with flanking
colonnettes and moulded lintel with small casements to left and right,
the latter with leaded lights. To the right a 3-light window divided by
colonnettes with foliated capitals. First floor has a large cross
mullion and transom stair window and a narrow sash in the central bay, a
smaller cross window on the left and a 3-light window divided by square
foliated mullions on the right. Pointed relieving arches to openings in
the central bay. llodi,,lli,on eaves cornice. Hipped roof with
projections, crested ridge tiles and decorative finials. Axial chimneys
have tumbled-in bases, octagonal shafts with carved roundels, cornices
and tapered octagonal pots. Right return has ground floor bay with
foliated jambs and a mullionqd oriel. Interior: main oak staircase with
fret balustrade and carved Gothic details, and other original features.


Listing NGR: SE8431211098

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.