History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old George Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Ickleford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9701 / 51°58'12"N

Longitude: -0.2804 / 0°16'49"W

OS Eastings: 518223

OS Northings: 231578

OS Grid: TL182315

Mapcode National: GBR H5P.FXV

Mapcode Global: VHGNL.3R32

Entry Name: The Old George Inn

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347090

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163044

Location: Ickleford, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ickleford

Built-Up Area: Ickleford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ickleford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ICKLEFORD ARLESEY ROAD
TL 1831 (West side)

10/34 No. 41
27.5.68 (The Old George Inn)

GV II

House, now a public house. C16 or earlier open hall house, early C17
inserted floor and internal chimney, renovated in C18 and C19. Timber
frame on brick sill, roughcast on ground floor, exposed frame on 1st
floor with plastered infill panels. Steep old red tile roofs. A T-plan
medieval house facing E with 2-storeys and cellar N parlour crosswing,
and lower 1 1/2-storeys main range. This range has an original storeyed S
bay formerly axially divided for pantry and buttery with separate
entrances to each from cross-passage and for stair to upper floor at E
side. 2-bays hall has close-studded partition at upper end with
4-centred arched doorway with moulded frame and sunk spandrels at NW
into 2-bays crosswing parlour with stair beside W end wall. C17 chimney
inserted part blocking cross-passage when floor inserted. Lobby entry
plan completed when S service bay made one room and C18 fireplace
inserted backing onto hall chimney. E front has close-studding to 1st
floor, projecting gabled porch to entrance with 3-lights casement window
to LH and shallow rectangular 2-storeys bay with gabled top. 3-lights
casements, and small 2-lights ovolo moulded window at high level on
ground floor beside it. 3-lights casement to 1st floor of gabled N
crosswing above the canted bay window to ground floor. Large internal
chimney has tall cruciform stack above roof set diagonally. Projecting
large chimney on N side of N wing to front bay. Interior has exposed
timbers with irregular flat joists to S bay floor, regular flat joints
to N wing, jowled posts, curved tension braces, and clasped-purlin roofs
on trusses with collars. Inserted hall floor carried on axial beam
with soffit carved in relief with alternating strapwork rectangles and
ovals. Moulded oak 4-centred fire surround with sunk spandrels. Small
cupboard door in back with lozenge decoration. Moulded plank doors to
entrance lobby and 1st floor. Britannia firemark No. 71210 now fixed to
side of axial beam in hall. (RCHM (1911)245).


Listing NGR: TL1822331578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.