History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priory Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wenham Magna, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0033 / 52°0'11"N

Longitude: 1.0181 / 1°1'5"E

OS Eastings: 607260

OS Northings: 238174

OS Grid: TM072381

Mapcode National: GBR TN9.68N

Mapcode Global: VHKFG.LXL4

Entry Name: Priory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278844

Location: Wenham Magna, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Wenham Magna

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Great Wenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Layham

Listing Text

TM 03 NE GREAT WENHAM OFF CHURCH ROAD (EAST
3/70 SIDE)

22.2.55 Priory Farmhouse

GV II*

House, C15 or earlier with later alterations and additions including C16 wing and
chimney stack dated 1699. timber framed and plastered, exposed frame to first
floor of west wing. Off centre left chimney stack to hall. Large square
chimneystack between the right gabled wings, stack with moulded base and capping,
2 round headed arches with geometric panel below and date 1699. Hall, one storey
and attics, left cross wing, 2 storeys, right crosswing and gabled extension
crosswing, 2 storeys and attics. Gable dormer to hall. 1:2:2:1 window range of
various small paned casements and vertically sliding sashes, louvred window to
ground floor of left crosswing which retains a C19 dairy. Recessed porch to
right crosswing, 6 panelled door, moulded surround, segmental head to rayed
fanlight. There is a single storey lean-to extension to left return of this
crosswing. Internally much of the original frame is concealed by later
decorations, but little has been altered this century. The left crosswing is
till in use as the scullery with quarry tiled floor, original arches to fireplace
and bread oven. Internal pump. Very large brick and stone sink. Brick copper.
C18 corner cupboard. Servants bells. Nailed vertically boarded doors lead into
the dairy and game larder and a similar door leads into the original hall. The
only visible features in the hall are a heavy chamfered bridging joist to
probably inserted ground floor ceiling and a halved and bridled top plate scarf
in the bedroom above. Entrance hall in the right crosswing with Victorian
coloured tiled floor and archway. Fine C17 well staircase with moulded string,
heavy turned balusters and newels with turned finials, moulded handrail. Nailed
and moulded door with original strap hinges to attic newel stairs. Butlers
pantry to right of entrance hall. the drawing room and bedroom over in the
extension right crosswing have fine plaster ceilings, circa 1600, that in the
Drawing room of 4 panels divided by a moulded and enriched bridging joist and
moulded cross straps, similar straps connect the panels to walls and cross
straps. The panels of scroll and jewel work in moulded rectangular frames with
enriched centres. The bedroom ceiling is similar but the larger scrollwork
panels have no frames, side straps or jewel motifs, instead there are many
pendant acorns. There is a moulded fire surround with corner patera and blue
Delft tiles. Backing this fireplace in the adjacent bedroom is a similar
fireplace but with brown tiles depicting the four seasons, cast iron grates. The
attic of the right extension crosswing retains the original floor boards, jowled
storey posts and side purlin roof with cambered collars. Collars framed and
pegged with 2 pegs each side. The left crosswing of 2 bays with jowled storey
posts appears to be C15 with heavy close set wall studs. Original floor boards
to this crosswing bedroom.


Listing NGR: TM0726038174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.