This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1168 / 52°7'0"N
Longitude: 0.9762 / 0°58'34"E
OS Eastings: 603865
OS Northings: 250677
OS Grid: TM038506
Mapcode National: GBR SKK.7LZ
Mapcode Global: VHKF1.V2Y2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Lawrence
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279884
Location: Great Bricett, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP7
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Great Bricett
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Bricett St Mary and St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/12/2014
TM 05 SW
Church of St. Mary and St. Lawrence
(Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary and St. Laurence)
Parish church; originally the church of the priory of St. Leonard, founded
1114-19 for Augustinian canons from St. Leonard de Noblat; the priory was
dissolved in 1444 and granted by Henry VI to his college in Cambridge. Nave,
chancel, south porch. Mainly of random flint rubble with freestone dressings;
much medieval remodelling with limestone and tile rubble, and later brick
rubble. C19 brick at upper levels. Continuous plaintiled roof. The core of
the early C12 church remains, but was extended at both ends later in C12, and
underwent repeated alterations throughout the Middle Ages. Fine late C12 south
doorway with rich carving to jambs, shafts, imposts and arched head. In the
jambs are 8 reused stones with carved inscription, of which one word is
LEONARDUS. These probably come from the original early C12 doorway a little
to the east, whose former position is marked by a very early scratch dial. A
number of C12 features remain: blocked tall west doorway with window above,
blocket lancets in north and south walls. There were two C12 transepts in the
chancel; these were demolished and (on the south side) a window inserted in
mid C13, with a good hood-moulded doorway beside it. Blocked early C13 arches.
on north and south sides of chancel, which led to transeptal chapels at the
extreme east end. These in turn were demolished in C14, and the south arch has
w:Lthin it a C14 crocketed and pinnacled piscina and a window. The north arch
also has an inserted window. In the south wall are several C13 and C14 Y-
traceried windows and a plain C14 piscina. The east wall was rebuilt in 1868;
the east window is in the mid C14 manner and is perhaps original and
reconstructed; 4 panels of C14 glass in another window were formerly in the
east window with much other glass. Early C15 crownpost roof over the nave;
the archbraced tiebeams are moulded and the wallpieces have moulded pilasters.
Similar chancel roof is later, perhaps rebuilt with removal of chancel arch.
A fine font of late C12: square limestone bowl enriched with interlaced
arcading and shafts with foliate capitals. Plain square stem and base.
Hexagonal oak pulpit with rows of carved sunk trefoils and bands of
quatrefoils above and below, and one side has good window tracery; the pulpit
is in the manner of C15 but possibly constructed (or assembled) in C19. A
wall monument of marble to John Bright of Tollemach Hall, Little Bricett,
d.1680. An archaeological plan of the church showing its complex evolution is
on the north wall.
Listing NGR: TM0386550677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings