This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.224 / 52°13'26"N
Longitude: 1.1815 / 1°10'53"E
OS Eastings: 617396
OS Northings: 263186
OS Grid: TM173631
Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KJ7
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.FCHG
Entry Name: 38, High Street
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281528
Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Debenham
Built-Up Area: Debenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (west side)
TM 16 SE
6/104 No.38 (formerly listed
9.12.55 as Cottage approx. 90yds.
NW of Oakcroft)
House. Mainly C16, the front bays with earlier origins. A single long range
at right angles to street, with adjacent carriage entrance. Timber framed and
rendered, pantiled roof. 2 storeys. Jettied former gable end, now re-roofed
parallel to street. A 3-light first floor casement window with some old
diamond-leaded glass. Below, a sash window with glazing bars and boarded
entrance door. Carriage entrance to right with jettied loft above: original
solid brackets, buttress-shafted wallposts. Loft has a 2-light casement
window. Rear portion of range is a former coach house, the north wall rebuilt
in C19 red brick. 2 round-headed windows with Y tracery. Interior.
Substantial plain joists in 2 front bays; knee-braced floorbeam in end bay.
Partition between these bays has remains of square-headed doorways by side
walls. Widely-spaced studding with parts missing or rebuilt, especially on
ground floor. 2 incomplete upper windows had square mullions. Arch-braced
cambered open tie beam at front. Rear 2 bays re-use some sooted medieval
timbers. Carriage entrance is later infilling, probably replacing parlour end
of adjacent house (qv. Item 6/103). Stack inserted against south wall of
front bay: fireplaces on each floor have cambered lintols, the ground floor
opening rebuilt. Roof not examined; said to be originally of crown-post type,
now greatly rebuilt.
Listing NGR: TM1739663186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings