History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Goosnargh, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.866 / 53°51'57"N

Longitude: -2.6717 / 2°40'17"W

OS Eastings: 355928

OS Northings: 441295

OS Grid: SD559412

Mapcode National: GBR 9RSQ.DW

Mapcode Global: WH857.X3Y2

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185887

Location: Goosnargh, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Goosnargh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whitechapel St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Inglewhite

Listing Text

SD 54 SE GOOSNARGH CHURCH LANE
Whitechapel

Church of St. James
2/40
II
GV

Church, rebuilt 1738 on site of late medieval chapel or oratory, enlarged
1818, reconstructed and chancel added in late C19, porch 1930. Coursed
sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave
and chancel, in vernacular style. Nave raised c.1890; west gable wall has
a 4-light double-chamfered stone mullion window at ground floor, and above
this a recessed window of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels
(these appear to be C17 and C16 respectively); and an open-arched gable
bellcote with one bell, the bell-arch surmounted by a pyramidal finial with
consoles. Nave of 5 bays (5th added 1818) has at west end of south side a
gabled porch with battered buttresses and swept eaves, then windows of 1,2,
2,2, and 1 round-headed lights, all late C19, with diamond leaded glazing;
north side has addition to 1st bay, then four similar 2-light windows, the
middle two on a higher level than the others (originally to illuminate the
pulpit etc of 1738). Chancel has two round-headed single-light windows on
the south side, and an east window of 3 round-headed lights. Interior:
hammerbeam kingpost roof with Y-struts; semi-circular chancel arch with
shafts which have moulded caps; various tablets commemorating gifts and
benefactions of the family of John Roper (including the porch), and a
memorial to the Rev. Benn, vicar 1823-73, who carved the wooden furniture
in the chancel. History: the 1738 chapel, replacing a decayed building
only 9 yards by 4 yards, was built with the aid of Queen Anne's Bounty and
also housed the school (presumably at the west end, which was formerly
galleried); and the centre of the north side was originally furnished with
a 3-decker pulpit, reading desk, and clerk's seat (framed plan or "Plat
form" inside church). References: Fishwick Goosnargh pp. 39-47,
A. Hewitson Our Country Churches and Chapels, Preston, 1872, p.581.


Listing NGR: SD5592841295

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.