History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ochil Tree House

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Cary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0902 / 51°5'24"N

Longitude: -2.5106 / 2°30'38"W

OS Eastings: 364334

OS Northings: 132443

OS Grid: ST643324

Mapcode National: GBR MV.CMQ1

Mapcode Global: FRA 56M7.PQ6

Entry Name: Ochil Tree House

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Last Amended: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262052

Location: Castle Cary, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Castle Cary

Built-Up Area: Castle Cary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Castle Cary

Listing Text

CASTLE CARY CP UPPER HIGH STREET (North side)
ST6432
6/119 Ochil Tree House
(formerly listed as Ochiltree
House)
24.3.61
GV II

House at end of row. Circa 1825, probably built by William Payne, carpenter. Finely jointed red brick, Flemish bond,
Doulting stone dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 5 bays. Above, 16-pane sash
windows, below 4-pane sashes, in plain openings with rubbed brick voussoired flat heads, central keystones; to lower
bay 3 a 6-panel door with glazed toplights set in architrave, up 3 steps, under pediment hood; to lower bay 5 a wide
elliptical arched throughway with plain ashlar surround; incised on arch and impost 'John Boyd and Co. Ltd. Estd 1867";
the entrance now divided, forming narrow through-corridor and then pair double boarded doors, with panels over.
Interior adapted, now offices of Avalon Components Ltd, who modified house at rear in l979. From 1851 home of John
Boyd, horsehair weaver, who established his business at Chapel Yard House (qv) in 1840; the first instalment of his
Ansford factory was built in the grounds in 1851. The name of the house comes from Boyd's birthplace in Scotland.
(McGarvie M;, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).


Listing NGR: ST6433432443

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.