This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8574 / 52°51'26"N
Longitude: -3.0519 / 3°3'6"W
OS Eastings: 329269
OS Northings: 329401
OS Grid: SJ292294
Mapcode National: GBR 73.S34K
Mapcode Global: WH89X.2FZS
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367341
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255575
Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Oswestry
Built-Up Area: Croesowallt
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Oswestry Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 2929 SW OSWESTRY C.P. SALOP ROAD (west side)
16/101 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1836-7 by R. K. Penson, extended 1894 by Eustace Frere.
Regularly coursed grey limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof
concealed by coped verges and eaves parapet. Original plan a single
wide nave and chancel with apsidal sanctuary; baptistery and porch,
south chapel and north-east tower and vestry added 1894. Nave: buttressed
in 5 bays with tall broad cusped lancets and crocketed corner pinnacles;
gabled baptistery at west end, with porch abutting at right-angles to
north, cuts across former west window and flanking lancets (now all
infilled). Short sanctuary, also with broad cusped lancets and with
armorial shields as label stops, formerly had crenellated parapet and
pinnacles, now replaced by late C20 splayed roof. South chapel:
has Decorated-style window on east and 2 on south, late C20 concrete
parish room in angle with nave. North-west tower has tall oak-shingled
spire flanked by 4 corner spirelets and narrow gabled lucarnes above;
gabled vestry adjoins to west. Interior: rib-vaulting to sanctuary
has dog-tooth ornament; panelled nave roof c. 1856 and arch-braced
roof in bays to baptistery; fittings and furnishings all late C19
including stained glass to sanctuary and in east window on south
side of nave. Holy Trinity has been the parish church of east and
south-east Oswestry since 1842 and its spire forms a prominent local
landmark. B.O.E. p. 223; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire
Part 9 (1908)p. 807.
Listing NGR: SJ2926829402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings