This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3334 / 55°20'0"N
Longitude: -1.5837 / 1°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 426506
OS Northings: 604454
OS Grid: NU265044
Mapcode National: GBR K6CR.XX
Mapcode Global: WHC20.N61N
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236715
Location: Amble By the Sea, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Amble by the Sea
Built-Up Area: Amble
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Amble
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
AMBLE CHURCH STREET
13/45 Church of
Parish church, 1870, by Messrs. Austin and Johnson of Newcastle; south vestry
1929. Roughly-tooled snecked stone with tooled ashlar dressings; roof of
small red clay tiles. 4-bay aisleless nave and 2-bay chancel with vestries
on north and south. Mid-C14 style.
Chamfered plinth; moulded sill strings and linking hoodmoulds. Stepped
buttresses between bays, flanking west end and as angle buttresses at east
end. South wall of nave shows boarded double doors in west bay, in double-
chamfered arch with ogee hood carried up to a finial between 2 quatrefoil
panels, in a broad flat-topped projection. Both sides of nave show 2-light
windows with varying tracery; a pair of similar but taller windows set high
in west end. On east end a stepped gabled bellcote pierced by two large
trefoil-headed arches with a smaller above and between. Slightly-taller
chancel has 3- and 2-light south windows, the former above a flat-roofed
vestry with 2- and 3-light mullioned windows, and a 3-light east window.
Pent-roofed north vestry with small lancets. All gables have moulded coping
and finial crosses.
Interior: all walls tooled-squared stone. Double-chamfered chancel arch
and similar but smaller arch to organ. Trefoiled piscina and segmental-pointed
sedile in chancel. Minton tiles in sanctuary. Carved openwork chancel
screen. Moulded font on quatrefoil shaft. Nave roof has collar-beam trusses
with upper king-posts and struts; long arch braces, in alternate trusses, on
moulded stone corbels; ashlar pieces at eaves.
Listing NGR: NU2650604454
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings