This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8942 / 52°53'39"N
Longitude: 1.354 / 1°21'14"E
OS Eastings: 625707
OS Northings: 338238
OS Grid: TG257382
Mapcode National: GBR WDK.F59
Mapcode Global: WHMS9.RJY3
Entry Name: Templewood
Listing Date: 15 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224676
Location: Northrepps, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Northrepps
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Northrepps St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 23 NE NORTHREPPS
Shooting box. 1938. John Seely and Paul Paget for the latter's uncle
Sir Samuel Hoare, Viscount Templewood. Painted brick, now pink but
originally a warm yellow; lead roofs. Rectangular in plan, with
rectangular ranges across west and east faces. Single storey west facade
of 7 bays. Rendered plinth. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central
3-bay portico with 4 Ionic columns from the Taylor/Soane Bank of England
supported on a rendered plinth; pediment over with Templewood's coat of
arms in high relief; central double-leaved door with semicircular head,
lower panels blank and upper 2 panels of each glazed. Each window of the
flanking wings has apron and a continuous band to sill and head. Plain
parapet. Statues on extreme corners in glass-fibre by Edwin Russell c1965.
The entrance is reached by a shallow flight of stone steps flanked by 2
C18 stone sphinxes all from Nuthall Temple, Nottinghamshire by
Thomas Wright (demolished 1929). To the left of the facade a screen wall
with 6 blind rusticated arches. 7-bay south front has a double perron
with stone and timber balustrade from Nuthall leading to a 3-bay loggia
with 4 Bank of England columns; one bay to each side with sash windows
and all 5 bays with a plain cornice and wrought iron roof balustrade by
Bakewell of Derby also from Nuthall. 2 flanking wings project each with
a sash with louvred shutters in the gable-end; bands and plain parapet
as west front. Clerestorey above centre 5 bays with 3 oculi with radiating
glazing bars and a stone festoon over the central opening. Semicircular
terrace to the west front with similar balustrade from Nuthall. Central
door with fanlight having 2 vertical glazing bars; sash to either side.
2 flanking bays project slightly having sashes with shutters. Plain
cornice and wrought iron balustrade above centre 3 bays. Clerestorey with
central oculus. Service entrance to north. Interior. Large central
saloon with coved ceiling painted in 1964 with the life of Paul Paget by
Brian Thomas. Modest apartments round the perimeter of the saloon.
Country Life, 116, 4th February 1939. Burke's and Savills Guide to Country
Houses, Vol.III, East Anglia 1981.
Listing NGR: TG2570738238
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings