History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Barningham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3548 / 52°21'17"N

Longitude: 0.8882 / 0°53'17"E

OS Eastings: 596785

OS Northings: 276892

OS Grid: TL967768

Mapcode National: GBR SGJ.9CT

Mapcode Global: VHKCV.B2XN

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376995

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284364

Location: Barningham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Barningham

Built-Up Area: Barningham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Barningham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coney Weston

Listing Text

TL 97 NE BARNINGHAM CHURCH ROAD

1/11 Church of St. Andrew
14.7.55
GV 1


Parish church. C14 and later; restored 1877. Nave, chancel, west tower and
south porch, mainly in rubble flint with freestone dressings. Chancel
rendered externally, and an admixture of knapped flint and red brick in the
tower walls. Slate roof to nave, tiles to chancel. High C15 porch with
diagonal buttresses and parapet of black knapped flint; a 2-light window to
east and west with cusped tracery; remains of a holy water stoup in south-east
angle. C14 south doorway to nave with multiple continuous mouldings and hood-
mould. 3 2-light windows in north and south walls of nave with Perpendicular
tracery; buttresses with checkerwork bases in moulded stone and black knapped
flint; an old wooden sundial on the face of the south-east buttress. C14
chancel : quarter-round mouldings to narrow pointed priest door; flowing
tracery to 3-light east window; low-side window on south west with embattled
transome and wooden shutter; blocked north door. Plain tower in 3 stages with
stone string-courses: stone-faced diagonal buttresses on west; flint-faced
stepped parapet; west door with multiple mouldings and a small single-light
window in the stage above; a 2-light window with cusping and quatrefoil to
each face of the top stage: all these features apparently early C14, although
wills of 1439 and 1440 (see Pevsner, Buildings of Suffolk p.86) refer to the
tower as new. A stair turret on the south face rises to the top of the second
stage; a large clock has been fitted into the top window, and a single block
of carved stone with a shield has been let into the flintwork of the lowest
stage. The nave interior is filled with a very fine set of C15 benches with
traceried panels against the ends, tracery and crestings along the backs,
poppy-heads, and figures of animals and birds, monsters, and one kneeling
figure, on the arms. Jacobean panelling to the rear part of the walls. C14
octagonal font on a low base with various traceried panels around the bowl.
Half of the Jacobean altar rails, with turned balusters, are resited in front
of the benches on the north side. Very late C17 panelled pulpit with Jacobean
sounding-board. Roof in 8 bays, the 3 on the east longer than the rest:
moulded purlins and principals; no, collars; arch-braces to principals,
capitals alternating in height along the walls. Remains of medieval stained
glass in the heads of all the nave windows, and the remains of old leaded
panes of crown glass to the lights. The former medieval studded plank south
door to the church has been reversed, refaced in C19, and is now the door of
the vestry in the base of the tower. Large wooden parish chest in the south-
east corner: the iron bands are stamped 'C.E.Catton,1873", but also with the
older initials B.P. In the south wall, a cinquefoil-headed niche with piscina
for a side altar. Above it, the stairs to the rood loft set into the south
east window; the cut-off end of the candle-beam embedded in the wall. Fine
screen with remains of original painted patterns and gesso-work on the
buttresses: one-light ogee arches with panel-tracery and a cresting above.
Jacobean doors. Chancel fittings mostly date from the 1877 restoration, and
the stained glass is all of that date. Angle piscina with trefoil head;
sedilia; Jacobean altar table; on north wall, a memorial brass with a standing
figure to William Goche, sometime rector, d.1499. Roof in 4 bays: arched-
braced trusses without collars, the braces meeting at a central pendant with
carved boss. The diary of Thomas King, a Thelnetham carpenter, records
'Barningham Church screwed together by Geo Bloomfield June 1834"; this refers
to the tie-irons across the nave.


Listing NGR: TL9678576892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.