This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0607 / 52°3'38"N
Longitude: -0.8151 / 0°48'54"W
OS Eastings: 481327
OS Northings: 240917
OS Grid: SP813409
Mapcode National: GBR CZT.QR0
Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.TGFM
Entry Name: Wyvern First School
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487997
Location: Wolverton and Greenleys, Milton Keynes, MK12
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wolverton St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
891/0/10013 AYLESBURY STREET
18-JUL-01 Wyvern First School
First School, originally combined elementary school for infants and girls. Built 1906 for Bucks County Education Committee; some C20 alterations. Architects Messrs Harrington, Ley and Kerkham of 65 Bishopsgate St Without, London. General contractor E. Archer of Northampton. Fireproof construction of brick with concrete floors. Facings of Heather brick (a high quality red brick) in English bond with extensive Bath stone dressings. Hipped and gabled slate roofs and ribbed lead ogee roofs to stair turrets and painted wood louvres.
PLAN: U-shaped range of classrooms with a stair around a hall to the rear at ground and first floors. Stairway and cloakrooms to each wing in the U.
ELEVATION: Main front faces Aylesbury Street to north and is set back from street within railings. Central block breaks forward and has four stone-coped gables framing the heads of large Venetian windows above groups of three tall windows to ground floor. Windows have stone key-blocked heads. Wings either side have open Tuscan-columned stone porches which flank centre with friezes bearing plaques lettered in raised capitals INFANTS. Wings have tall windows to first floor with semi-circular stone dormer heads. Pilaster buttresses of alternating stone and brick, alternating bands of stone and red brick to first floor. Painted wood louvres to middle of ridge of central block and to wings with ogee lead roofs. Cast-iron rainwater heads bear ying-yang motif. Rear elevation, from which girls school on first floor was originally entered, has a pair of full-height projecting stair turrets either side of central section terminated above eaves level by ribbed lead ogee roofs.
INTERIOR: Wood block and terrazzo floors. Glazed brick dados. Wrought iron trusses to tall upper hall. Internal windows provide light from hall to classrooms in the U. Cloakrooms retain fittings.
SOURCES: The Bucks Standard, Saturday June 2, 1906.
Listing NGR: SP8132640915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings