This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0616 / 52°3'41"N
Longitude: -0.8153 / 0°48'54"W
OS Eastings: 481318
OS Northings: 241018
OS Grid: SP813410
Mapcode National: GBR CZT.QPL
Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.TFCY
Entry Name: Wyvern Nursery
Listing Date: 18 July 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488000
Location: Wolverton and Greenleys, Milton Keynes, MK12
County: Milton Keynes
Civil Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys
Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wolverton St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
891/0/10015 CHURCH STREET
18-JUL-01 Wyvern Nursery
Nursery School, originally built as an elementary school for boys. 1896 with some C20 alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond and hipped and gabled slate roofs with ornamental tile ridges and terracotta finials to gables.
PLAN: Parallel, single-storey classroom blocks divided by corridor.
ELEVATION: Main front faces Church St. to north. Symmetrical 14-bay elevation of segmental-headed windows. End bays are recessed. Elevation is articulated by three pairs of windows to centre, and to left and right of centre under pedimented gables. Gables frame terracotta plaque that to centre lettered in capitals, BOYS SCHOOL, those to outer gables dated 1896. Segmental-headed doors to side elevations. Rear block is somewhat higher than front block and has 12-bay elevation to playground articulated in a similar way to front. Chamfered brick plinths, corbelled brick eaves and gable pediments.
INTERIOR: Central corridor with wide arched openings in brick interior walls to classrooms that run parallel to each side with tall exterior windows. Herringbone wood floors.
HISTORY: Built by the London and North-Eastern Railway Company, assisted by Radcliffe Trust and a 'few of the townspeople who subscribed to the voluntary rate,' and an important testimony to a railway company's concern for families of its employees.
Group value with Wyvern First School.
SOURCES: The Bucks Standard, Saturday July 11, 1896.
Listing NGR: SP8131941016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings