This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1527 / 50°9'9"N
Longitude: -5.6579 / 5°39'28"W
OS Eastings: 138801
OS Northings: 34479
OS Grid: SW388344
Mapcode National: GBR DXD8.R6H
Mapcode Global: VH057.WF89
Entry Name: Milestone approximately 15m north-east of Chy Lowena Cottage
Listing Date: 30 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1405974
Location: St. Just, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Just
Built-Up Area: Higher Boscaswell
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Pendeen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
A milestone of 1836.
It is set into a garden wall (not of interest) at the south-west corner of the junction between the B3306 St Just to Zennor Road and the B3318 to Tregerest and Penzance. The stone is triangular on plan with a flat top and stands just over 1m high. There are inscriptions in sans serif capitals on two sides, each with two pointing hands in bas relief. The left-hand side reads: 'PENZANCE / 6 MILES. / PENDEEN / 1 MILES.'; the right-hand side reads 'ST JUST / 3 MILES / MORVAH / ZENNOR / 1836'. The stone is painted white with the lettering and pointing hands painted black.
The milestone is marked and labelled as 'Guide Stone' on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880. It forms part of a group of similar stones with pointing hands situated in West Penwith which were erected in the mid-C19 (some have inscribed dates) at a time when the roads in the area became increasingly busy with heavy freight traffic related to the local mines and the foundry at Tregeseal in St Just which was established by Nicholas Homan in 1834.
The milestone approximately 15m North-East of Chy Lowena Cottage, Higher Boscaswell is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it was erected at a time when there was an increase in freight traffic related to the prosperous mining industry in this area;
* Rarity: an unusual example of a stone that has carved pointing hands and is also inscribed with the date it was erected;
* Group value: it forms a group with other surviving milestones in West Penwith, a number of which are also listed.
Other nearby listed buildings