This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4175 / 53°25'2"N
Longitude: -1.076 / 1°4'33"W
OS Eastings: 461510
OS Northings: 391582
OS Grid: SK615915
Mapcode National: GBR NXXX.VN
Mapcode Global: WHFFT.FCWF
Entry Name: Harworth War Memorial and enclosing walls
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421767
Location: Harworth Bircotes, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN11
Civil Parish: Harworth Bircotes
Built-Up Area: Bircotes
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Harworth
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1926.
War memorial by Tyas and Guest, unveiled in 1926.
The memorial, in pale Cornish Granite, comprises a low obelisk with 1914-18 inscribed and a carved laurel wreath (painted green) towards its base. The obelisk stands on a plinth inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY’S FREEDOM (names) AND 1939-45 (names). The plinth stands on a square base.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: the memorial stands within an enclosure defined by low stone walls.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of Harworth lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 7 November 1926 by Viscount Galway of Serlby Hall and dedicated by the vicar of Harworth, the Revd F d’Arblay Burney. It was designed and made by Tyas and Guest (of Swinton). The names of those who fell from the parish in the Second World War were added after 1945.
The war memorial by Tyas and Guest, unveiled in1926, Main Street, Harworth, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.;
* Architectural interest: it has a thoughtful and well-executed design, prominently located on the village green.
Other nearby listed buildings