This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.412 / 52°24'43"N
Longitude: -2.1067 / 2°6'24"W
OS Eastings: 392838
OS Northings: 279341
OS Grid: SO928793
Mapcode National: GBR 2DX.N6H
Mapcode Global: VH91Q.FMMS
Entry Name: Clent War Memorial
Listing Date: 12 October 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1450348
Location: Clent, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, DY9
Civil Parish: Clent
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.
First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: Clent War Memorial is located within the churchyard to the west of the tower of the Grade II*-listed Church of St Leonard.
It takes the form of a stone wheel-head cross, which has a shield carved in relief to its centre containing the monogram IHS. The cross crowns a tapering octagonal shaft with a decorative carved collar and inverse chamfered stops to the base. The shaft rises from a slender four-sided pedestal with splayed foot, which surmounts a square plinth with a narrow, square block foot. The top corners of the plinth are moulded chamfers. The whole stands on a three-stepped stone base.
The principal inscription is to the front (west) face of the plinth and reads TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL AND UNDYING MEMORY/ OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ ALSO TO THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945. To the plinth foot below is a verse from “The Supreme Sacrifice,” a poem by John Stanhope Arkwright, which reads THESE WERE HIS SERVANTS IN HIS STEPS THEY TROD/ FOLLOWING THROUGH DEATH THE MARTYRED SON OF GOD/ VICTOR HE ROSE VICTORIOUS TOO SHALL RISE/ THEY WHO HAVE DRUNK HIS CUP OF SACRIFICE.
The names of the 29 men who died in the First World War are listed on the remaining sides of the plinth. The eight dead from the Second World War are listed on the north and south faces of the plinth foot.
All lettering is incised.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Clent as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 29 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was presumably erected not long after the end of the conflict.
Following the Second World War eight names were added to the memorial to commemorate those who died in that conflict.
Clent War Memorial, which is situated in St Leonard’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* An elegant wheel-head cross memorial.
* With the Grade II*-listed Church of St Leonard.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings