History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinshaldy House and Farmsteading, South West Range

A Category B Listed Building in Leuchars, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4019 / 56°24'6"N

Longitude: -2.8315 / 2°49'53"W

OS Eastings: 348779

OS Northings: 723605

OS Grid: NO487236

Mapcode National: GBR 2P.0RTF

Mapcode Global: WH7RS.GCX2

Entry Name: Kinshaldy House and Farmsteading, South West Range

Listing Date: 28 April 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 341079

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8865

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Leuchars

County: Fife

Civil Parish: Leuchars

Unitary Authority Ward: Tay Bridgehead

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Leuchars

Description

1878. Large integrated farm and steading group incorporating some early 19th century masonry at farmhouse. Quadrangular plan with detached L-plan block at SW angle, whinstone rubble with stugged white sandstone dressings throughout except at older part of farmhouse where they are droved. South range comprises 2-storey 5 bay farmhouse, mainly 1878 but with 12-pane sashes to match the earlier part. 3-stage Italianate water tower of red brick with white brick dressings added at 2nd bay from left c 1885, segment-headed windows ground and 1st, corbelled triple arches at 2nd, ground floor forms porch with cantilevered pentice hood on west face, further door at 4th bay, so that section E of tower forms symmetrical 3 window unit. Western ground floor window altered; bothy block to east single storey 2 bipartite windows flanked by 2 doors, matchboarded interiors with original ranges. Main elevation of steading is to east, symmetrical with corbelled and finialled apices to gables, that over the central semi-elliptical pend arch with large cast-iron weather vane; N and S gables have pairs of inverted keyhole slits,

sculptured circular roundels above, that at N with salmon swimming in reeds, that at S with horses and plough and inscription 'SPEED THE' above and '1878' beneath, linking sections 3-bay with louvred openings. North elevation single storey L-plan, sliding doors in shallow rectangular recesses. Western threshing mill and barn range 2-storey, horsemill and engine house on W face unfortunately demolished and threshing mill removed, 2 semi elliptical cartshed arches at S end on

court side. Court cobbled, roofed cattle court (perhaps of letter date) demolished. Single-storey L-plan SW range has doocot in loft of northern arm with entrances at N gable. 3 cartshed openings in N face of SE arm. Large walled garden adjoining on S dated 1902, gabled gateways N and S.

Further alterations 1987/8.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.