History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Melin Llynon

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tref Alaw, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3379 / 53°20'16"N

Longitude: -4.4939 / 4°29'37"W

OS Eastings: 234051

OS Northings: 385227

OS Grid: SH340852

Mapcode National: GBR HM8W.B8F

Mapcode Global: WH42B.YC7G

Entry Name: Melin Llynon

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Last Amended: 14 March 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5265

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Set back from the N side of a country road leading W from the village of Llanddeusant, the mill is located c500m W of the Church of St Marcellus and St Marcellinus.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Holyhead

Community: Tref Alaw

Community: Tref Alaw

Locality: Llanddeusant

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Llanfaethlu

History

Late C18 windmill, built between August 1775 to March 1776 at a cost of £529.11s (£529.55). The mill formed one of the outlying properties of the Llynon estate, built for Herbert Jones by Andrew Williams. It was operated by another Jones family, the first miller Thomas Jones followed by his son, another Thomas; his sons chose not to run the mill and the operator in 1881 is recorded as being their cousin William Pritchard. In 1892 the mill was taken over by Robert Rowlands, one of the renowned family of Anglesey millers, who continued running the mill throughout the First World War. In 1918 a severe storm struck the cap so badly that it became permantly locked in one position; little grinding was then carried out as the sails could only be operated when the wind came from the SW. Despite Rowlands offer to pay towards the cost of repairing the mill, the owner refused to sanction the work and the mill's useful life came to an end.
In 1978 the owner of the mill, Thomas Rowlands, retired from farming and decided to sell the mill. It was purchased by Anglesey Borough Council who restored the mill to full working order. The restoration was carried out over several years and was finally completed late in 1983, the sails raised in August of that year. The total cost of the restoration was £120,000 and on May 11th 1984 Melin Llynon was officially opened by the Mayor of Anglesey, Councillor T D Roberts.

Exterior

Complete 3 storey windmill tower, built of rubble masonry, rendered. Opposing doorways and single window to each storey facing NW; boarded doors and small paned lights, openings within cambered heads, slate sills. Since restoration the windmill has been in full working order, with timber cap and 4 sails.

Interior

The completely restored interior is in full working order and includes some pieces of the original machinery. There are 3 pairs of stones, 2 of which are dressed and used for grinding, the third is open and on display to the public.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a complete and well-preserved windmill tower, which, since restoration is the only working windmill on the island out of over 40 which were in operation in the mid C19.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty'r Felin
    Reached by private trackway and set back from the N side of a country road leading W from the village of Llanddeusant. The house is located c50m NNW of Llynon mill and c500m W of the Church of St Mar
  • II Lodge at Llynon Hall
    Set at the W side of the country road between Bodedern and Llanrhyddlad, the lodge/gatehouse is on the S side of the N approach to Llynon Hall; located c200m NE of the hall and c1km WSW of the church
  • II Llynon Hall
    Set back, within private grounds, from the W side of the country road between Bodedern and Llanrhyddlad; the hall is located c1.25km SW of the Church of St Marcellus and St Marcellinus in the village
  • II Bodwigan and attached agricultural range
    In an isolated rural location, reached by private trackway W of the country road between Bodedern and Llanrhyddlad. Bodwigan is located c350m NW of Llynon Hall and c1.5km WSW of the church in the vil
  • II Pont Hafren
    Spanning the Afon Alaw, the boundary between the parishes of Llanddeusant and Llantrisant, Pont Hafren carries the country road between the villages of the same name; c850m SSE of the Church of St Mar
  • II Glan Hafren
    Set at right angles to a country road leading between the villages of Llantrisant and Llanddeusant and close to Pont Hafren, spanning the Afon Alaw; located c800m SSE of the church at Llanddeusant.
  • II Former Smithy at Glan Hafren
    Slightly set back from a country road leading between the villages of Llantrisant and Llanddeusant; located c800m SSE of the church at Llanddeusant and c25m due E of Glan Hafren.
  • II* Melyn Hywel
    Set back from the N side of the country road between the villages of Llanddeusant and Llantrisant, the mill is located c950m SE of the Church of St Marcellus and St Marcellinus in the village of Lland

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.