This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8031 / 51°48'11"N
Longitude: -4.2404 / 4°14'25"W
OS Eastings: 245621
OS Northings: 213985
OS Grid: SN456139
Mapcode National: GBR DK.XLT9
Mapcode Global: VH3LQ.GY32
Entry Name: Church of St Cyndeyrn
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 12 December 2003
Source ID: 9399
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a round churchyard in the centre of the village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A medieval church. Nave and chancel are possible C14, to which a N aisle and chapel, and a W tower, were added in the C15 or C16. The S porch is also medieval. Medieval windows were replaced in the C17 with wood-traceried windows, but these were in turn replaced when the church was restored in 1883-8 by J.P. St Aubyn, architect. The roofs (though retaining some original timber) are also of this period.
A medieval church with alterations in C19 Gothic style, comprising nave with lower and narrower chancel, N aisle and chapel (the latter now a vestry) and W tower. Of rubble stone, partly rebuilt in snecked freestone in the late C19, and slate roofs behind coped gables on moulded kneelers. The nave S wall is buttressed at the W end, and has three 2-light geometrical windows. The R-hand window is stepped out in what was originally a rood-loft stair projection. The porch is L of centre, and has a round-headed doorway with double iron gates. The chancel has two 2-light Decorated windows and a pointed door L of centre with vertical ribs. The E window is 3-light with C19 style Perpendicular tracery. The chapel has a similar E window in a continuous elevation but with a vertical joint between chancel and chapel. On the N side are two 2-light square-headed windows, renewed in the C19 but retaining original heads with sunk spandrels and hood moulds. A lean-to boiler room further R was built in 1927. The N aisle has three 2-light square-headed windows and a blocked medieval doorway to the R with 4-centred arch and hood mould. In the W wall is a segmental-headed 3-light window.
The stark 3-stage W tower has a battered plinth and incorporates a porch in the lower stage. It has a simple pointed W doorway, small narrow stair windows to the S and a similar window in the middle stage to the N face. Single-light belfry windows are in heavy C20 concrete surrounds, with louvres. The embattled parapet stands on a corbel table.
The earlier entrance is probably the W, where the tower has a segmental tunnel vault. The nave W doorway has a single chamfer and weathered head stops to double ribbed doors. A simple empty niche is above the doorway. To its R is a weathered, cross-incised stoup. The W and S porches have pitched slate floors in diaper pattern. In the S porch the single-chamfered S doorway is in a shallow recess, to the R of which is a simple stoup. The interior S porch walls, including the stoup, are pebble-dashed.
In the W wall of the nave is a pointed boarded door to the stair turret. The nave has a 3-bay late medieval N arcade. Rectangular, chamfered piers are plastered and arches are double-chamfered. The roof has collar-beam trusses with diagonal braces below the collars, comprising 13 bays. The N aisle roof is similar. The lower, single-chamfered chancel arch is 2-centred. A similar but higher arch between aisle and chapel was infilled during the 1883-8 restoration. The chancel and chapel each have a 6-bay arched-brace roof retaining some medieval woodwork. A 2-bay chancel arcade is similar to the nave arcade.
The chancel has a tiled sanctuary, square piscina recess with projecting square bowl, and a corbelled aumbry in the NE corner. The panelled wooden reredos was installed in 1930. Communion rails have iron uprights and wooden handrail. Between chancel and chapel is a wooden screen made up of re-used material from former pews. It is dated 1676, 'the gift of Thomas and Jane Lloyd'. It has fielded panels on the N side, and relief-decorated panels to the S.
The early C20 font has an octagonal bowl and stem. Pews of 1883-8 have simple moulded ends. The polygonal wooden pulpit, of similar date, is on a stone base.
There are several memorials. In the nave S wall, beginning on the E side of the S door, is an inscription panel to Catherine Goldfrap (d 1784). A slate tablet commemorating Sir William Vaughan (1577-1641), the Newfoundland pioneer, was erected in 1987. Next to it is an alabaster panel on a slate background to David Saunders (d 1815), surmounted by a coat of arms. It is signed E. Davis of London. Below the easternmost window is a similar memorial to John Saunders (d 1853). In the embrasure of the same window is a simple marble tablet to daughters of David Saunders (all died 1864-71). Above it is a scroll to John Saunders (d 1870) below a badge in low relief of the 51st Kings Own Light Infantry. In the E wall of the nave is a simple marble tablet to John and Mary Winwood (d 1843, 1867) above a now illegible diamond shaped memorial panel. On the L side of the chancel arch is a 1914-18 war memorial. In the chancel S wall is an early C19 neo-classical female mourner with urn in low relief, its original accompanying memorial inscription panel now missing. A brass in the chancel N wall, by J. Wippell & Co of Exeter, is to Emmeline Jones (d 1887). Simple C18 wall memorials in the N chapel are to Rawleigh Mansel (d 1722) and Rawleigh Mansel (d 1740).
Glass in the E window depicts the Annunciation, dated 1979 by Celtic Studios of Swansea. In the nave, the easternmost window has C20 glass of a bishop blessing a family against a contemporary rural backdrop. The window next to it depicts the Crucifixion and Resurrection, dated 1895 by Ward & Hughes of London.
Listed grade II* as a substantial medieval church, retaining a fine tower, with good interior detail from the C15 to the C20.
Other nearby listed buildings