This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8575 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: -4.3094 / 4°18'33"W
OS Eastings: 241058
OS Northings: 220174
OS Grid: SN410201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T1QV
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8K5X
Entry Name: Parc-y-Felfet Unitatian Chapel
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9500
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at far NE end of street.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built as Park y Velvet Unitarian Chapel in 1849 for Dr. David Lloyd, minister of the small Carmarthen congregation. Lloyd was the Principal of the Presbyterian College 1835-53, as were most of his successors, and contributed to the improvement of education in the town and to the establishment of the Infirmary and the cemetery. Chapel interior altered 1915 by Ronald Potter Jones of Lincoln's Inn - author of a book on chapel design, the work executed by G. Morgan & Son. The 2 end windows were blocked and the 2 side windows inserted. The pulpit was moved from centre to near the side with harmonium and screen on the other. The pulpit was lowered and the platform raised and the walls panelled with panelling from old pews. Disused since later C20, and in poor condition 2002. A schoolroom detached to rear has been demolished. The chapel design mixes classical detail with Gothic windows.
Former Unitarian Chapel, stuccoed rubble stone with slate close-eaved roof. Shallow-gabled stuccoed facade with coped gable and cross finial. Giant Ionic pilaster each side, 2 tall pointed sash windows with margin lights and interlacing tracery [boarded over], and centre flat-headed double single- panel doors in timber Ionic pilastered surround. Moulded round plaque above doorway inscribed '' Capel Undodaidd Parcyfelfed'' and framed rectangular plaque in gable with painted inscription '' To us there is but one God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ'' and date 1849. Rubble stone sides and rear, each side with single arched window with red brick dressings set towards end wall. Rear 2 blocked pointed windows with red brick dressings. Grey limestone quoins.
Interior not accessible.
Included as a simple mid C19 chapel of townscape value and of historic interest for the contribution of Dr David Lloyd to the town.
Other nearby listed buildings