Memorial Cross in Churchyard
A Grade II Listed Building in Berriew, Powys
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5993 / 52°35'57"N
Longitude: -3.2007 / 3°12'2"W
OS Eastings: 318770
OS Northings: 300840
OS Grid: SJ187008
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.96NJ
Mapcode Global: WH79V.TX1Q
Entry Name: Memorial Cross in Churchyard
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16340
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: On the N side of the church.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Built-Up Area: Berriew
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Erected 1933, and designed by Ninian Comper. Ashlar, in a medieval idiom.
Stepped base to chamfered shaft, which carries a tabernacle, with low reliefs in traceried panels, and surmounted by a pinnacle.
Reasons for Listing
A fine example of memorial sculpture by Comper.
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of Saint Beuno (aka St Beuno)
Set back from the street in a churchyard of roughly circular shape.
Towards the junction with Church Terrace on the E side of the village.
Prominently sited at the centre of the village, bounding the churchyard adjacent to the Lion Public House.
Opposite Pool Road Cottage at the side of the road.
Alongside the lychgate entrance to the churchyard, in a prominent position in the middle of the village.
On the corner of Church Terrace and the B4390 road out of the village to the NE.
Lychgate to Churchyard
Forms the main entrance to the churchyard at its W end.
Backs onto the E side of the churchyard in the centre of the village.