This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8109 / 51°48'39"N
Longitude: -3.0389 / 3°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 328472
OS Northings: 212987
OS Grid: SO284129
Mapcode National: GBR F4.X4TS
Mapcode Global: VH796.8RS3
Entry Name: Canal Wharf at Boathouse Cottage
Listing Date: 24 February 1971
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17236
Building Class: Transport
Location: At Llanfoist Wharf which is situated uphill to the south-west of Llanfoist Parish Church. The wharf is on the west side of the canal and Boathouse Cottage is built over the tunnel; the house is reach
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Llanfoist Wharf was where the tramroad from Garnddyrys Forge, built by Thomas Hill of Blaenavon in 1825, reached the canal. The canal as a whole was linked to many tramroads and was important for trade in iron, lime and coal. Llanfoist Wharf lies within the section completed in 1812 under William Crosley but it, together with this building, were constructed to serve the tramroad and therefore date from 1825 or after. Boathouse Cottage was built as a wharfinger's dwelling; it is sited end on to the incline. The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal (now known as the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal) was constructed between 1797 and 1812. Gradually the railway took traffic off the canal and eventually it was bought out by the Great Western Railway. Restoration work began in 1964.
The 3-storey stone house is at right angles to the canal and is built over the upper end of the tunnel. Slate roof, raised c1900. Rendered 2-window front with modern windows except to the ground floor which retains camber-headed sashes; offset entrance between. Gable-end brick chimneys and cross wing to rear; further modern alterations. Small windows in gable ends are said to be for the occupant to see up and down the two tramroad inclines although it is not clear why a wharfinger would need to do this. Either side of the tramroad bridge that is now the access to this house were rail-served wharves of which surviving evidence remains, although now partly converted into a garden.
Included notwithstanding modern alterations as an integral part of the important early C19 group at Llanfoist Wharf and as an unusual example of a house built over a tunnel.
Other nearby listed buildings