This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8138 / 51°48'49"N
Longitude: -3.0754 / 3°4'31"W
OS Eastings: 325963
OS Northings: 213347
OS Grid: SO259133
Mapcode National: GBR F3.WV3D
Mapcode Global: VH795.NN0W
Entry Name: Tramroad Bridge
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17248
Building Class: Transport
Location: To south-west of Govilon and the disused railway line. Situated in woodland and spanning the stream that runs down Cwm Llanwenarth.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Locality: Cwm Llanwenarth
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built to carry Bailey's Tramroad across Cwm Llanwenarth. This tramroad was built by Crawshay Bailey and was opened in 1821 from Nantyglo Ironworks to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Govilon. The line of the tramroad at this point followed a loop along the contour of the valley. It was superseded when the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Branch line opened in 1862.
Substantial single-arched tramroad bridge built of local coursed rubble. The semicircular arch has dressed stone voussoirs and the parapets are swept out at either end. Now overgrown.
Listed for its special interest as a surviving early C19 tramroad bridge.
Scheduled Ancient Monument No Mm 204.
Other nearby listed buildings