History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bethel Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Dyffryn Arth, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2519 / 52°15'6"N

Longitude: -4.2298 / 4°13'47"W

OS Eastings: 247883

OS Northings: 263868

OS Grid: SN478638

Mapcode National: GBR DK.09GM

Mapcode Global: VH3JL.MNQK

Entry Name: Bethel Chapel

Listing Date: 23 May 1996

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17473

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated some 100m N of Aberarth Bridge, on W side of river, facing up Water Street.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Locality: Aberarth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Aberaeron

History

Calvinistic Methodist chapel built in 1848. Some alterations recorded in 1900, possibly the porches.

Exterior

Roughcast rubble stone with slate bracket-eaved roof, and two iron ridge ventilators c1900. Broad lateral front of two big 24-pane main windows, 12-pane outer gallery lights over added gabled porches with ledged doors. Centre plaque: `Bethel Aber-arth Addoldy yr Trefnyddion Calfinaidd Adailadwywd yn y flwyddyn 1803 Ail adailadwyd yn y flwyddyn 1848'. Plain raised cement surrounds to openings and raised strips at outer angles.

Roughcast W end with 16-pane window. At NW angle added stable and coach-house, with ground floor window and door, loft window above. The loft has end-wall cart-entry, as built into bank. Yellow-brick heads to openings. E end has 16-pane ground floor window and boarded loft opening.

Interior

No galleries, raked interior with tightly packed painted-grained box pews, in six blocks radiating outwards from 5-sided passage around centre block of pews, which surround the great seat and pulpit. Pulpit with fretwork panelled front. Plain plastered walls and ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

The chapel is the principal building in Aberarth, an unusually closely-built village, and retains its character as a simple but spacious lateral-fronted chapel, still with original box-pews.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Felin Aberarth
    Situated on E bank of Arth, on E side of lane running N from E end of Aberarth Bridge.
  • II Delfan
    Situated some 30m down lane from A 487 to Bethel Chapel, on W side, facing N.
  • II Telephone Call-box (01545 570241)
    Situated on W bank of the river Arth, just E of Delfan.
  • II Clifton
    Situated backing onto the low seaside cliff on the W bank of the Arth, the northernmost building on this side.
  • II Manteg
    Situated backing onto the low seaside cliff on the W bank of the Arth, the northernmost building on this side.
  • II Pont Aberarth and attached abutment walls
    Situated on A 487 in centre of village, crossing River Arth.
  • II Alicia
    Situated just SW of Aberarth Bridge on S side of main road, A 487.
  • II Laura
    Situated on E side of A 487, just NE of Aberarth Bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.