This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4869 / 51°29'12"N
Longitude: -3.1599 / 3°9'35"W
OS Eastings: 319557
OS Northings: 177079
OS Grid: ST195770
Mapcode National: GBR KNJ.DY
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.5WTH
Entry Name: Roath Branch Library
Listing Date: 31 July 1997
Last Amended: 31 July 1997
Source ID: 18642
Building Class: Education
Location: On triangular site between Newport Road and Four Elms Road.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1900-1901, by Teather & Wilson, architects. Extended to E by 2 bays 1936, refurbished 1992/93.
Library. Red brick with bathstone dressings and bands, slate roof. Two storey elevation. Entrance to Newport Road (N) has 7 windows articulated by shallow pilasters. Upper windows 3-light mullion and transom windows glazed with lead cames. On ground floor, central doorway has segmental arch with keystone, similar treatment to windows which have wooden mullions and transoms.
West gable end has Dutch gable with relief (Cardiff arms) at apex, bathstone banding, thermal window below which is broad window with stone architrave with 4 Ionic pilasters, 4-light mullion and transom window to centre, single light windows to outer bays. On ground floor, single-storey extension has 3 segmental-headed windows, broader central window flanked by Ionic pilasters, spandrels and parapet enriched with relief decoration (putti), segmental-headed windows to returns. To rear, attached parallel range with roof-light, and smaller blocks. E gable end has thermal window over 4-light mullion and transom window, smaller windows to sides.
Re-ordered, now open-plan. Upper walls buff brick, lower walls plastered. Arcade of broad round arches on squat Doric columns on plinths. Semi open roof ceiled at collar level.
Listed as good example of building type, and for group value with adjacent listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings