History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ty'n Rhos

A Grade II Listed Building in Tirymynach, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4503 / 52°27'1"N

Longitude: -4.0076 / 4°0'27"W

OS Eastings: 263662

OS Northings: 285487

OS Grid: SN636854

Mapcode National: GBR 8V.LRX9

Mapcode Global: VH4F6.HN5Z

Entry Name: Ty'n Rhos

Listing Date: 12 November 1997

Last Amended: 12 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19072

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 800m SE of Rhydypennau on N side of lane.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Tirymynach

Community: Tirymynach

Locality: Rhydypennau

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Bow Street

History

Earlier to mid C19 farmhouse, once part of the Gogerddan estate, the architectural detail typical of c1840-60. Marked on Tithe map of 1847 and the O.S. map of 1823.

Exterior

Farmhouse, un-coursed random rubble stone walls with gabled roof of small slates. Stone end chimneys with slate cornices and weather-courses. Regular 2-storey, 3-window range, hornless 12-pane sashes in shallow reveals with stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre 4-panel door with flush-mouldings and coloured-margined over-light. Roof has projecting eaves and verges. Rear has C20 timber casement windows.

Reasons for Listing

A good local example of a substantial earlier C19 vernacular farmhouse retaining original detail.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Capel y Garn
    Situated, at the N end of the linear village of Bow Street, on the W side of the A 487, in iron-railed forecourt.
  • II Bryngwyn Canol
    Situated some 800m E of Dolau, on N side of lane, facing a range of traditional farm-buildings around an enclosed yard.
  • II Milestone on E side of A 487
    Situated in rubble stone wall near the centre of Bow Street, on the E side of the A487.
  • II Penrhiw
    On the E side of the A487 towards upper end of Bow Street, opposite Maes Afallen estate, attached to Arwel to S.
  • II Cambrian House
    Situated near the centre of the linear village of Bow Street, set back slightly on the E side of the A487.
  • II Church of Saint John the Divine
    Situated roughly in centre of village, between the school and the village hall.
  • II Plas Gwyn
    Situated about 1 km E of Gogerddan, in own grounds on N side of road just W of Penrhyncoch.
  • II Sunday School
    Situated to E of B4353 on hillside, approached by steep short lane from centre of Llandre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.