This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1484 / 53°8'54"N
Longitude: -3.0098 / 3°0'35"W
OS Eastings: 332558
OS Northings: 361731
OS Grid: SJ325617
Mapcode National: GBR 75.5MDJ
Mapcode Global: WH88K.Q4Y5
Entry Name: Stables at Kinnerton Lodge
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19077
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the rear of Kinnerton Lodge which is situated within its own grounds and approached by a private drive running west off Kinnerton Lane.
Community: Higher Kinnerton (Kinnerton Uchaf)
Community: Higher Kinnerton
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built as two parallel stable blocks to Kinnerton Lodge in the early 19th century when in the ownership of the Topham family. Western block possibly earlier than eastern. Extended and upgraded by the Collinge family in the late 19th century through the construction of a single storey glazed workshop, dormers, and new glazing patterns.
Stable block on a U-plan. To the west the principal block is two-storeys centrally planned with a slightly projecting central section surmounted by a triangular pediment with weathervane to its apex. Random stone construction with some brick dressings. Hayloft with two circular pitching holes. Doors and windows have segmental heads. Windows filled with distinctive lattice pattern of leading. Dormer window to western hip of roof with Gothic Revival pattern decoration. Off centred brick chimney stack. Eastern block is single storey rendered brick under slate roof. To the north are cart openings, to the south boarded door with plain glazed fanlight and three-light mullion window. Later double garage doors inserted in southern elevation. Connecting the two ranges is a later single storey cart shed and workshop constructed of brick under a slate roof. Above the four panel door to the workshop is a further Gothic Revival dormer, and to the side a large eight-light mullioned window.
Listed for group value with Kinnerton Lodge as C19 stables with distinctive detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings