History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Berllan

A Grade II Listed Building in Eglwyswrw, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0231 / 52°1'23"N

Longitude: -4.7268 / 4°43'36"W

OS Eastings: 213008

OS Northings: 239583

OS Grid: SN130395

Mapcode National: GBR CX.GL79

Mapcode Global: VH2N1.0DZY

Entry Name: Berllan

Listing Date: 10 December 1997

Last Amended: 10 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19159

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated some 2.5 km NW of Eglwyswrw off minor road leading N from village, then W towards Pengelli.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Crymych

Community: Eglwyswrw

Community: Eglwyswrw

Locality: Berllan

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Eglwyswrw

History

Late C18 or early C19 country house, probably built for the Reverend David Griffith (1754-1834), tutor to the children of George Bowen of Llwyngwair, then son-in-law 1781, and vicar of Nevern 1783-1834. David Griffith seems to have lived latterly at Berry Hill, Nevern where he died. His son G.D.B. Griffith was owner in 1838. But from 1841 owner was Owen Owen of Cwmgloyned (d1849). Advertised for sale 1872. Later owned by the Lloyds of Bronwydd and their descendants as Lords Marcher of Cemaes.

Exterior

Colourwashed roughcast with slate hipped valley roof, and four corniced stone stacks, two on ridges behind front range, two on coped rear gables. Three-storey, three-window range, square-plan with main front facing E, subsidiary 3-window facades to S and N. Raised plinth, paired brackets to flat overhanging eaves. Hornless 12-pane sashes in plain stucco surrounds, 6-pane to top floor, 12-pane elsewhere. E front has centre 6-panel door with radiating-bar fanlight in rectangular frame. Timber doorcase with long console brackets and plain shelf. N front is similar but ground floor centre door with big square overlight may replace a sash window, S front is similar but entirely windows, mostly horned sashes. Rear has flat coping between gable stacks and main part of wall is recessed under broad elliptical arch.

Reasons for Listing

A handsome late Georgian country house, which retains its character.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.