This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6043 / 52°36'15"N
Longitude: -3.1235 / 3°7'24"W
OS Eastings: 324012
OS Northings: 301321
OS Grid: SJ240013
Mapcode National: GBR B1.91NW
Mapcode Global: WH79W.ZSTT
Entry Name: Farm Buildings at Nantcribba
Listing Date: 20 March 1998
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19566
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located immediately E of the farmhouse, at the end of the farm road.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Model farm buildings erected for the large Nantcribba Farm by John Naylor in 1874, part of the Leighton Estate. Naylor acquired the Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, principally Leighton Hall, church and Farm, which was largely completed by the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931.
Built of brick made on the estate, set on chamfered stone plinths, and with slate roofs. The layout is basically symmetrical, with a 2-storey central spine range running NE - SW, of approximately 12m span, containing the main straw barn, having 2-storey cross ranges of 6.5m span, 14 roof bays each side, set 2/3rds of the length to the SW, from which 2 single storey ranges spring at right angles, each with 7 open arches, and terminating in pens each with a small yard. The single storey ranges form 2 stock yards each side of the SW end of the barn range, designed for beef cattle. The ample feeding walks with direct access to the craches are all interconnected internally. The spine barn range has 14 tensioned queen post-and-collar trusses NE of the cross range junction, and the cross ranges have haunched king posts and angled strut trusses. The large stockyard in the northern angle is paved with large stone sets, and is defined by a 7-bay carthouse on cast iron columns on its NE side, with a wide 6-roof-bay granary over. At right angles to the NW cross range, the large stock yard is enclosed by a further range, with stables for brood mares on the inner (yard) side, and for stallions on the outer face. The corresponding E angle contains the rick yard. Tall round-arched openings give access to the enclosed paved N yard, with similar arches forming a cross space in the great barn range. Access doors to the feeding walks are framed and battened, with some recessed ironmongery, and windows are of part louvred, part glazed type typical of Leighton Estate buildings. The cattle yards between the SW wings are enclosed by stone coped brick walls. A stone shield with initials and date appears on the SW gable of the barn, and some bricks are impressed JN1874. The effluent is said to flow away in an underground system to a very large holding tank beyond the SE end of the cross range, with distribution pipes leading to the fields.
Included as a well preserved group of farm buildings in a style characteristic of the Leighton Estate, forming a group with its associated farmhouse: a very good example of a model farm complex and part of the development carried out by the Leighton Estate in this area.
Other nearby listed buildings