This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8674 / 51°52'2"N
Longitude: -3.1852 / 3°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 318487
OS Northings: 219426
OS Grid: SO184194
Mapcode National: GBR YY.SJK8
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.QBY8
Entry Name: Fro
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20687
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located off the N side of the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road where it curves round sharply to the S to cross the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. The house is set down from the road, and the gro
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably by J L Pearson. The house is similar to a pair of Glanusk estate cottages by Pearson at Pont-y-bryn-hurt on the N side of the River Usk. Fro is the game-keeper’s residence. It is shown on the 1889 Ordance Survey.
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Estate cottage in minimal Tudor-Revival manner. Consisting of a main E-W range with advanced wing to L (W), creating an L-shaped plan, and short cross-gable to rear. Constructed of snecked rock-faced red-grey masonry with yellow limestone dressings under tile roofs. Three square masonry stacks with offsets and dressings; 2 eaves stacks to the N side and one to the W gable. Most of the windows are under prominent relieving arches, have sandstone mullions and inserted iron-framed windows with large panes. Main doorway to S under pointed arch, containing a planked door with overlight. Above it is a 3-light mullioned window, with a 2-light mullioned window to its R in the lower storey. The S gable of the advanced wing has similar windows; 3-lights to the ground floor, and 2-lights above, with a narrow opening in the gable apex. The E gable end is similar, but the ground floor window has been replaced with a C20 casement. The W gable has single lights to the lower and upper storeys and a narrow opening above. To the rear is a planked door to the R with square head. It is approached by stone steps rising from E to W, bound to the N by iron railings. The N cross gable has a single light to the upper storey and the same to the W side. To the rear of the house is a linked outbuilding, effectively a lean-to against a N boundary wall. It is of the same fabric as the house, but with a front (S) wall in Flemish bond brickwork, containing 3 planked doors and a C20 window.
No access to interior at time of inspection (July 1997)
Listed as a distinctive estate cottage, probably purpose-built as a game-keeper’s residence; characteristic of Pearson's work on the Glanusk Estate.
Group value with Fro Bridge over the canal.
Other nearby listed buildings