History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Hart Bridge (Canal Bridge No.143) including attached retaining wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8942 / 51°53'39"N

Longitude: -3.2879 / 3°17'16"W

OS Eastings: 311471

OS Northings: 222521

OS Grid: SO114225

Mapcode National: GBR YT.QWLG

Mapcode Global: VH6C6.YNP8

Entry Name: White Hart Bridge (Canal Bridge No.143) including attached retaining wall

Listing Date: 17 December 1998

Last Amended: 17 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21116

Building Class: Transport

Location: In the centre of Talybont village, to the rear of the White Hart Public House.

County: Powys

Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)

Community: Talybont-on-Usk

Locality: Talybont

Built-Up Area: Talybont-on-Usk

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffread

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. First section, between Gilwern and Talybont, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. Lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile completed 1812 and engineered by William Crosley. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. Many bridges had large cast iron weight restriction notices on poles erected at each end. Last toll was taken in 1933. Restoration of canal began 1964.

Exterior

Hump-back bridge of rubble sandstone. Segmental arch has thin voussoirs and low parapet with flat coping. The abutments curve outwards on both sides and the parapet has square end piers. On the E side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief in keystone position. The towpath passes under bridge on N side and has a stone kerb; on S side is a stringcourse roughly at water level.

This bridge rises to W and is reinforced with metal ribs under the vault. It defines the S border of the Talybont Basin and adjoins a long retaining wall which borders the Basin to S with weir below; to W is the aqueduct over the Caerfanell River. No string course visible on W side and only one pier NW. Concrete surface.

Reasons for Listing

One of a group of original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridges.

Group value with other listed structures in Talybont village

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II White Hart Inn
    Occupying a prominent position in the centre of the village and backing onto the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal at a higher level; the Caerfanell River and aqueduct adjacent to W, and the former rail
  • II Pair of railway bridges over road and canal at Talybont
    In the centre of Talybont village, close to the White Hart Inn and parallel with Afon Caerfanell, carrying the disused railway line over the B4558 and the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
  • II Talybont Aqueduct (Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal)
    In the centre of Talybont-on-Usk, NW of the White Hart Public House and spanning the Caerfanell River, a tributary of the River Usk.
  • II Weighbridge Cottage
    South of canal, on line of old tramway. Reached via lane to W of White Hart Inn.
  • II The Star Inn
    In the centre of Talybont village, backing onto the canal, with the canal aqueduct and River Caerfanell bordering the garden.
  • II Former skittle alley and tea-room
    In the centre of Talybont village, backing onto the canal, near the Star Inn and opposite Gileston Mill.
  • II* Gileston Mill aka Talybont Mill
    In the centre of Talybont Village, just N of the main street, adjacent to Afon Caerfanell, reached by a narrow lane with Talybont Farm adjacent NW.
  • II Brynhyfryd
    Overlooking the canal on the E border of Talybont village and reached by a drive adjacent to the canal bridge and the limekilns.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.