This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8738 / 51°52'25"N
Longitude: -3.2679 / 3°16'4"W
OS Eastings: 312809
OS Northings: 220226
OS Grid: SO128202
Mapcode National: GBR YV.S21V
Mapcode Global: VH6CF.95RD
Entry Name: Obelisk monument S of St Tetta's church
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21203
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: In the churchyard close to the priest's door in the S chancel.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Those commemorated are: William son of William and Eleanor Thomas late of Pantywenallt b 1835 d 1838, also daughter Margaret b 1842 d 1844, also William and Eleanor.
A tall monument of ashlar comprising a tiered base on which stands a slighly tapered plinth, each side with an inscription panel - primary inscription to S, another to E; surmounted by a shallow pediment incorporating a carved motif. This supports the base of an obelisk, slighly broached at base and tapering to a point.
Included as an earlier C19 monument, more elaborate than usual for a country churchyard, and for group value with the Church of St Tetta and other listed monuments in the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings