This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0603 / 52°3'37"N
Longitude: -3.7944 / 3°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 277074
OS Northings: 241734
OS Grid: SN770417
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.D9G2
Mapcode Global: VH5DQ.5GWX
Entry Name: Dugoedydd Fawr
Listing Date: 25 February 1999
Last Amended: 25 February 1999
Source ID: 21400
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in the valley of the Afon Tywi approximately 2.5km SW of Rhandirmwyn. Farm courtyard to S.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Substantial farmhouse, probably rebuilt c1840-50. A farmhouse is marked on the 1841 Tithe map, but appears to be smaller. It was then owned by the Cawdor estate, occupied by Margaret Saunders, with 536 acres (217.08 hectares). The estate belonged to the Price family of Ystradffin in the later C17 and early C18, Thomas Lloyd of Dugoedydd died in 1736 and his wife in 1745. By the late C18 part of the Cawdor estate, shown in the 1795 map book with 229 acres (92.745 hectares).
Farmhouse, rubble stone with slate roof and rendered end stacks, and big stack in angle of rear wing. Two-storey, three-window front with large 16-pane sashes, stone sills and stone-voussoir heads. Ground floor right window has been replaced in plastic. Centre wide panelled door (similar to that at Nantddu) with traceried overlight in brick-and-timber gabled porch. S end wall is roughcast and has 6-pane first floor window and C20 window ground floor left. SE rear wing is also roughcast with 2x6-pane windows above, one 16-pane and one tilting 12-pane window below, centre door.
Not accessible on resurvey, but said to have main stair winding around small room with small horizontal sliding sash window to hallway, perhaps an office for collecting rents. Narrow timber service stair in rear wing, which has oack bresummer over large inglenook fireplace.
Included as a substantial estate farmhouse of the mid C19, with original small-paned windows.
Other nearby listed buildings