This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8182 / 51°49'5"N
Longitude: -3.975 / 3°58'30"W
OS Eastings: 263964
OS Northings: 215128
OS Grid: SN639151
Mapcode National: GBR DX.WLN2
Mapcode Global: VH4JB.1KXJ
Entry Name: Glynhir Bailiff's Cottage
Listing Date: 27 August 1999
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 22218
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: To the south side of Glynhir farmyard; the rear is to the north side of the access yard to Glynhir mansion.
Community: Llandybie (Llandybïe)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A farmhouse (with the Courtyard Cottage possibly as an attached original cottage) probably pre-dating the acquisition of Glynhir by Peter DuBuisson in 1770. This building and the barn are probably all that remain of the farmyard buildings and 'great improvements . . . made by the late owner' then referred to in the notice of sale of the estate.
The centrepiece of a two-storey farmhouse range linked by an infill section to the east, slightly set back, to the Coach-house block. The cottage or former farmhouse faces north to the farmyard. Local sandstone rubble masonry, local sandstone roofing slabs with tile ridges. Rendered chimneys at each end of the cottage.
The north elevation of the Bailiff's cottage (to east of the Brewhouse link) is of two windows to the upper storey, with square openings tight to the eaves. Doorway and three windows below with cambered arches. Simple porch to doorway. All front elevation carpentry replaced.
The rear elevation, facing the mansion, is a range of three segmental-arched two-light casement windows of which the one to the right has been walled up. Each casement of four panes. Stone sills. Beneath the latter window is a ground storey fixed eight-pane window with a deep segmental head and a stone sill.
Listed as a vernacular building of some character and for group value as one of an exceptionally complete series of estate buildings at Glynhir.
Other nearby listed buildings