This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2421 / 53°14'31"N
Longitude: -3.2386 / 3°14'18"W
OS Eastings: 317440
OS Northings: 372390
OS Grid: SJ174723
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZTY.NH
Mapcode Global: WH76R.7R2X
Entry Name: Stable block and pigeon house at Plas Coch
Listing Date: 31 January 2001
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 24668
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Plas Coch is 2.4km ENE of Ysceifiog church and reached by private drive on the E side of B5121. The stable is S of the house.
Locality: Pen Ucha'r Plwyf
Traditional County: Flintshire
Originally a stable or cow house to Penuchar Plwyf farm, and shown on the 1849 Tithe plan. It had been extended by 1871. The building was remodelled in 1879 (date on building) as a stable with pigeon house. At this time the farm was renamed Plas Coch.
A large stable block of rubble stone with bigger quoins, bullnose brick dressings and a slate roof hipped to the R. A central open wooden cupola retains a single bell and weathervane. The doors have been replaced in original openings. Facing the house is a doorway with overlight on the L side, and then 4 doorways and a window. Set back further R is the addition to the original building added in the third quarter of the C19. It has a single doorway and window. From the L end, the loft has a small-pane window, then 2 shuttered openings, between which is an oculus with flanking dated tablets and the initials 'RL'. Set back further R are 2 smaller oculi.
Against the R gable end is the brick base of a former water tank. In the rear wall a vertical joint marks the 2 main phases of the building. To the R of the joint the rear has doorways at the ends flanking 2 rear windows incorporating original cast iron sliding vents, above which are 2 loft doors, the L-hand of which has a renewed brick threshold.
The interior walls incorporate ledges for nesting pigeons.
Listed as a well-preserved late C19 stable and pigeon house, and for group value with the adjacent cart house and smithy.
Other nearby listed buildings