History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gronant Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Gronant, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3374 / 53°20'14"N

Longitude: -3.3635 / 3°21'48"W

OS Eastings: 309307

OS Northings: 383141

OS Grid: SJ093831

Mapcode National: GBR 4YYV.MC

Mapcode Global: WH769.9CLV

Entry Name: Gronant Inn

Listing Date: 30 April 2001

Last Amended: 30 April 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25079

Building Class: Commercial

Location: In the centre of the village opposite the junction with Nant y Crai Lane.

County: Flintshire

Town: Prestatyn

Community: Llanasa

Community: Llanasa

Locality: Gronant

Built-Up Area: Gronant

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Talacre

History

Built as a public house in the third quarter of the C19 and first shown on the 1871 Ordnance Survey. An adjacent house, built in the final quarter of the C19 and shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey, has been incorporated as part of the public house.

Exterior

The original 2-storey, double-fronted public house is of snecked stone and has quoins with vermiculated rustication. The slate roof is behind coped gables on moulded kneelers, with stone end stacks (reduced on the R side). Openings are under wedge lintels. A fielded panel door is to the centre, flanked by small-pane sash windows in each storey. Set back on the L side is a double-fronted, 2-storey former house of rendered walls painted white and slate roof with stacks to the centre and L, now incorporated as part of the public house. It has a panelled door to a central gabled porch, and 4-pane sash windows under stone lintels, except the window lower R which comprises a pair of 4-pane sashes.

Against the R gable end of the original public house is a single-storey projection. The rear, where the ground level is lower, has sash windows on the L side, a central stair light, and external steps to a doorway inside a flat-roofed canopy at the top of the steps, from where there is a short link to a formerly detached bakehouse. Upper R is a fire escape stair. The attached former house has 4-pane sash windows similar to the front and a replaced door R of centre reached by external steps.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for architectural interest as a C19 public house retaining original character.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.