This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8595 / 52°51'34"N
Longitude: -4.1075 / 4°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 258206
OS Northings: 331191
OS Grid: SH582311
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.RYGX
Mapcode Global: WH55Z.WD66
Entry Name: Gweithdy Saer
Listing Date: 21 June 2001
Last Amended: 21 June 2001
Source ID: 25505
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Set back slightly from the lane behind a short metalled forecourt.
Built-Up Area: Harlech
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Former inn, probably of late C17 or early C18 origin and with C19 and C20 alterations to the facade. The inn is recorded as the Red Lion already in the middle of the C18 and remained the principal inn in Harlech until the erection of the Blue Lion c1830. In 1750 'Evan Anwyl of the Red Lion, inn-keeper of Harlech ' is recorded as having a personal estate valued at £137. Evan Anwyl, who died in 1759, was a descendant of the illustrious Anwyl family of Parc, one of the senior gentry families of Merioneddshire. Many early tourists and travel writers frequented the inn and were unanimous in its condemnation. The Rev. John Evans in 1798 wrote: 'this cheerless spot... offered no bed nor anything better than a dirt floor strewd with a few rushes.'
Former inn of L-plan, consisting of a single-chimney front range of 2 storeys, with a one-and-a-half storey end chimney rear range. Of local rubble construction with old slate roof; end chimneys with plain slate capping and weathercoursing. The main (lane-facing) elevation has asymmetrical openings and chimney flush to the L gable. The ground floor has a 3-light C20 wooden window to the L, within a former entrance; to the R of this is a similar reduced entrance, with late C20 wooden casement. Right of centre is a wide modern opening with part-glazed doors; further entrance to the far R with modern door. The first floor has a wooden cross-window to the R and a plain late C19 4-pane sash to the L; off-centre L is a third-quarter C19 6-pane sash; each of these has its lintel tucked under the eaves and has a projecting stone sill. The right-hand corner has its lower half chamfered off. The rear wing has an upper entrance with framed, boarded door to the gable at L; two shallow catslide dormer windows to the N side with a further entrance and window below.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed for its special interest as a late C17 or early C18 former inn retaining good original external character and of considerable importance for the history of C18 and early C19 tourism in the town.
Other nearby listed buildings