This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6724 / 51°40'20"N
Longitude: -4.7032 / 4°42'11"W
OS Eastings: 213176
OS Northings: 200530
OS Grid: SN131005
Mapcode National: GBR GF.7PDK
Mapcode Global: VH2PS.F7F8
Entry Name: County Chambers (former Congregational manse)
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26432
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Just SW of the United Reformed Church and some 65m from the junction of Warren Street and South Parade.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Built-Up Area: Tenby
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Manse to former Congregational Church, c1872, and probably by Paull & Robinson of Manchester, architects for the adjoining chapel and schoolroom 1867-8. It was built by 1874 when a debt of £800 on the manse was reported. The builder was James Rogers of Tenby. Occupied 2001 by branch of Lewis Lewis & Co, solicitors, and named County Chambers.
House, squared pink tooled stone with Bath stone dressings and steep slate deep-eaved roofs. Two storeys and attic, L-plan with 1-bay main gable to left and 1-bay wing at right angles to right, both with truncated ridge chimneys. Main gable has ornate bargeboards with apex collar and struts above, the collar carried on very big arched braces carried down to paired corbels on wall below eaves. Ashlar capping to plinth, flush quoins, window surrounds and broad band over ground floor with top and bottom mouldings. Timber mullion-and-transom windows. Attic segmental-pointed headed 2-light, first floor square-headed 3-light and ground floor ashlar canted bay with the broad band carried around as parapet, with inset panels 1-3-1-light windows. porch in angle to wing has walling continuous from main gable and parapet continued from band, ornate doorway with stilted segmental-pointed roll-moulded head and inset Gothic columns to jambs. Four-panel door with Gothic chamfering to upper panels, and overlight. Buttress to right. Wing has broad band continued, single light to first floor over porch, 2-light to first floor left and 3-light to ground floor. Gable end is rendered with attic 2-light, 2 narrow 1st floor single lights and ground floor French window with 2-light top-light and cambered arch under transom. C20 steps up.
Left side of main gable is windowless with plinth and broad band carried around. To left is slightly projecting gable with half-hipped roof and 2-light window in gable. Ground floor pair of doors with relieving arch and pent slate hood.
Included as an ornate Victorian Gothic house of architectural character.
Other nearby listed buildings