This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9229 / 51°55'22"N
Longitude: -3.3464 / 3°20'46"W
OS Eastings: 307508
OS Northings: 225785
OS Grid: SO075257
Mapcode National: GBR YR.P0KQ
Mapcode Global: VH6BZ.YX8S
Entry Name: Jefferys Wilkins memorial in churchyard
Listing Date: 28 July 2005
Last Amended: 28 July 2005
Source ID: 84825
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the churchyard at Llanfrynach just W of tower, to which the railings are attached.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Memorial to Jeffreys Wilkins of The Priory, Brecon, died 1819, his wife Catherine Parry died 1827, and Charlotte wife of John Parry Wilkins, died 1826. John Parry Wilkins changed the family name in the 1820s to De Winton. The inscription to Jeffreys Wilkins relates that 'he was the first to put into practice that improved system of husbandry which has since so much distinguished the county of Brecon'. The Wilkins family founded the Brecon Old Bank.
Memorial, Bath stone with slate plaques. Large pedestal with ogee-moulded plinth, inset square slate plaques in moulded surrounds, and moulded cornice. Plaques have lettered inscriptions. Above are three shallow steps in red sandstone under a big Bath stone urn, heavily gadrooned below a broad wave-moulded ring, and the upper part curved inward and fluted under a curved cap that may have carried a finial.
Included for its special interest as a large late Georgian funerary memorial with good iron railings, of group value with the church.
Other nearby listed buildings