This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8025 / 51°48'8"N
Longitude: -4.9659 / 4°57'57"W
OS Eastings: 195605
OS Northings: 215695
OS Grid: SM956156
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XLWQ
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.WY2M
Entry Name: The War Memorial
Listing Date: 30 November 2005
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87049
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Situated facing square, backing onto side wall of former Masonic Hall, Picton Place.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Pembrokeshire county war memorial, 1921 designed by the architects Oswald Milne and Paul Phipps, the sculptor W. R. Morgan of Haverfordwest. A finely detailed memorial in forest of Dean stone with bronze panels, topped by a large stone dragon. An initial proposal to erect plaques on the New Bridge with money left over from that raised for the County War Memorial Hospital was set aside in 1920 at the suggestion of Sir Ivor Philipps and a full memorial commissioned. It was unveiled on 3 September 1921, having been made by the Haverfordwest masons, T. Morgan & Son. It then faced over the New Bridge from the middle of the square. It was moved to its present site when Salutation Square was demolished for new roads in the 1970s.
War Memorial, Forest of Dean sandstone, tall pedestal with bronze plaques supporting large seated Welsh dragon in stone. The pedestal is square in plan with the angles rebated and chamfered. Deep moulded plinth, the front with rectangular bronze plaque bordered in laurel. Tall main part has the rebated chamfered angles banded with names of eleven engagements to each corner. The sides have affixed bronze long rectangular plaques, three with names of the fallen, the front one with finely detailed arms of the county and inscription recording that it is the county memorial. The top blocking course has the slightly recessed large pedestal for the sculpture above with bronze letters on raised plaque on each face: 'Sacrifice' to front, 'Courage' and 'Honour' to sides and 'Victory' to rear. The pedestal is then chamfered inward to similarly chamfered base under dragon. Dragon is boldly carved, seated with folded wings and tail overlapping the base.
Included as a particularly fine piece of early C20 sculpture and for historical interest as the county war memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings