This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8818 / 51°52'54"N
Longitude: -4.4141 / 4°24'50"W
OS Eastings: 233938
OS Northings: 223112
OS Grid: SN339231
Mapcode National: GBR D9.RRR9
Mapcode Global: VH3L7.FYTT
Entry Name: Church of St Lucia
Listing Date: 14 April 2008
Last Amended: 14 April 2008
Source ID: 87567
Location: In large churchyard at centre of village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Largely medieval with restored C15 cusped side windows to chancel. The chancel arch although plastered over may also be medieval. The belcote may date from 1706, but its top as well as the porch and most of the windows date from a heavy restoration of 1899 by David Jenkins (1847-1907), architect, of Llandeilo. A plan for the restoration appears to show that the bulk of the fabric of the church is medieval.
Church of grey stone with slate roofs. Nave and lower chancel, W belcote and porch; vestry on N side. At W end is a double belcote, and gabled porch has doorway with boarded doors with strap hinges; further doorway in L return. On N side no windows to nave except a small lancet next to a vestry with hipped roof and 3-light window facing N. To L of vestry, a cusped lancet to chancel, and to L again, slate monument set into wall. Two-light E window to chancel. Old cusped window to S side of chancel. S side of nave has two C19 2-light windows with quatrefoils separated by stepped buttress.
C19 boarded roofs. Above chancel arch are corbels for rood beam; squint on S side of arch. Polychrome floor tiles; in chancel altar rail with iron scrolling to posts. Square font (possibly C12 or C13). Wall monuments from C18, early and late C19.
A church with surviving medieval fabric, including carved stonework to some windows, and jambs to W door, as well as rood loft corbels.
Other nearby listed buildings