History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Llan Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9587 / 52°57'31"N

Longitude: -3.9377 / 3°56'15"W

OS Eastings: 269938

OS Northings: 341900

OS Grid: SH699419

Mapcode National: GBR 5Y.KPYY

Mapcode Global: WH55H.HW4P

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 18 September 2012

Last Amended: 18 September 2012

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87659

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: On a promontory of high ground at the western end of Llan Ffestiniog, set back slightly from the informal village square.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Ffestiniog

Community: Ffestiniog

Locality: Llan Ffestiniog

Built-Up Area: Llan Ffestiniog

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Tanygrisiau

History

Designed by Henry Kennedy, a prominent architect in North Wales in the second half of the C19 and for most of that time serving as Diocesan architect. Constructed 1843-5 on the site of an earlier church and in response to local population growth associated with slate quarrying in the area. The Neo-Norman style was briefly popular for church architecture in the 1830s and 1840s and St Michael's was described by Samuel Lewis in 1849 as 'one of the neatest and most commodious churches in North Wales'. Kennedy also used this style for Llanllechid (1844) before adopting the Gothic style approved by the Ecclesiological Society for church building. Restored in 1913 by Harold Hughes.

Exterior

Neo-Norman parish church of nave, chancel, west bellcote (replacing original spirelet), south porch and north vestry. Grey limestone, round-arched windows with linking string course and shallow buttresses and low plinth. Nave of 5 bays, western bay blind. West end with 3 windows and tall gable window above. East window with 3 lights under a big arched hood. Gablet crosses to east gable of nave and chancel. Slate roof. South porch added in restoration of 1913.

Interior

Broad interior, roof formed of slender trusses sprung from corbels, and with open framing. Short chancel with a flat roll moulded horseshoe chancel arch on fat round columns. Deep timber gallery to west end set on stone columns. Square timber pulpit, Font in silver granite. Late C19 stained glass E window, S window by CC Powell c.1944, N window by Jones & Willis, c.1914.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved mid C19 parish church, of special architectural interest for the use of the Neo-Norman style, one of the few examples in Wales of this style. Also important for its special historic interest as an early building by one of the major architects of the Victorian period in North Wales and an unusual example of his early work before he adopted the more acceptable Gothic style. Group Value with other listed items nearby.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tegannedd
    Adjoining Melbourne house, stepped down and advanced; set back slightly behind a low rubble wall.
  • II Melbourne House
    Facing the square to the SE; set back on a slightly raised terrace behind plain contemporary railings.
  • II Pengwern Arms Hotel
    Facing the square prominently to the N.
  • II Ty'r Banc
    Facing the square to the SE; set back on a slightly raised terrace behind plain contemporary railings.
  • II Meirion House
    Prominently located on the SE corner of the square partly behind a plain, railed forecourt.
  • II Milepost
    Prominently sited at the junction of the A 470 and the B 4391; facing Church Square to the W.
  • II Penralltgoch
    Located approximately 0.5km W of Ffestiniog village on a slightly raised terrace on the steep roadside.
  • II Peniel Chapel (including hall addition to rear)
    Located approximately 91m NW of the A 470 in the centre of the village; set back behind contemporary decorative railings on a slightly raised, part-metalled terrace and accessed from the road via a sh

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.