History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grange Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bratton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2729 / 51°16'22"N

Longitude: -2.1286 / 2°7'43"W

OS Eastings: 391123

OS Northings: 152641

OS Grid: ST911526

Mapcode National: GBR 1TH.2NH

Mapcode Global: VH97B.281K

Entry Name: Grange Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Last Amended: 5 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1036518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313665

Location: Bratton, Wiltshire, BA13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bratton

Built-Up Area: Bratton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bratton St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bratton

Listing Text

BRATTON LOWER ROAD
ST 9152
(north side)
11/28 Grange Farmhouse (formerly listed
as Bratton Farmhouse)
11.9.68
GV II
Farmhouse. C17, altered mid C18. Flemish bond brick rebuilding of
timber-framed house, tiled roof with hip to left and brick stacks.
Two-storey, 5-window main range. Central 9-panelled door with
integral transom light in roll-moulded surround with flat stone
hood on brackets, two 12-pane sashes in beaded architraves either
side. Moulded string course over lintels; first floor has five
B
sashes in beaded architraves, datestone with initials I A / 1739.
Attached to right is range with surviving C17 brickwork opposite
stack, two 12-pane sashes to ground floor, 2-brick plat band with
projecting headers to lower course, one sash to first floor. Right
return has 2-light casements, left return has sash to ground floor.
Rear has two blocked 2-light cyma-mullioned windows to right,
central bay retains square-panelled timber-framing with straight
bracing and 3-light steel casement, late C18 lean-to 2-storey
extension to left has planked door and casements. Interior not
accessible at time of survey (May 1986), but said to contain C18
fittings. The initials on the datestone are those of John Aldridge
Ballard, who rebuilt the house.
(M. Reeves, Sheep Bell and Ploughshare, 1978)


Listing NGR: ST9112352641

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.