History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnwell, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4525 / 52°27'9"N

Longitude: -0.4583 / 0°27'29"W

OS Eastings: 504867

OS Northings: 284957

OS Grid: TL048849

Mapcode National: GBR FY9.BXN

Mapcode Global: VHFNQ.0ML8

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 25 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1040248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232595

Location: Barnwell, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Barnwell

Built-Up Area: Barnwell

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Barnwell St Andrew with All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Listing Text

TL0484
21/40
23/05/67


BARNWELL
BARNWELL ST. ANDREW
The Rectory

(Formerly listed as The Rectory, Church Lane)


GV
II


Rectory. c1820 altered 1874. Lias and limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate
roof. Irregular L-shape plan. 2 storeys. Garden front is a 3-window range. Tall
sash windows with glazing bars to ground floor centre and left, under gauged
stone heads. Similar square windows to first floor. Large polygonal bay to left
has similar windows and lateral ashlar stacks. 2-window range attached to right
is similar with a lower eaves level. 4-bay range set back to rear right is also
similar with 1-window range to left. Entrance front, to left of garden front, of
3 bays with central panelled door set in moulded stone doorcase with flanking,
pilasters, and side windows. Tripartite sash window to left is set in shallow
arched recess, with gauged stone head. Similar blank recess to right and sash
windows to first floor. Rear elevation has similar sash windows. Interior: hall
remodelled 1874 and private chapel added. Chapel has a small stained glass
window. The Rectory is said to have been rebuilt on the site of a C16 house.

Listing NGR: TL0486784957

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.