This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0668 / 55°4'0"N
Longitude: -1.5107 / 1°30'38"W
OS Eastings: 431343
OS Northings: 574810
OS Grid: NZ313748
Mapcode National: GBR K9WV.QH
Mapcode Global: WHC36.RXS3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235969
Location: Seaton Valley, Northumberland, NE25
Civil Parish: Seaton Valley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Seghill Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 37 NW
Holywell, Whitley Bay
8/5 Church of St. Mary
Chapel of Ease. 1885, by W.S. Hicks. Stone chamfered plinth and quoins to
rendered lower walls; timber-framed with rendered infill, above half-rail.
French clay tiled roof; lead dome to bellcote, brick ridge stack to vestry.
5-bay unaisled rectangle with south-east vestry. Side walls have vertical
studding; 2- and 3-light windows with elliptical heads to lights and leaded
glazing. West end has similar 2-light windows flanking boarded door in
segmental arch with carved spandrels; roof above hipped below gablet with
2-light window beneath cove carrying diagonally-set bellcote with slatted
openings under shouldered arches, and octagonal swept dome with wrought-iron
cross fleury. East end has square panelling and window of 5 trefoil-headed
lights under a segmental arch; large shaped brackets carrying moulded
bargeboards with pendant finial; cast-iron finial cross.
Interior: Brattished dado rail; similar rail with rosettes at sill level of
east window. Roof of arch-braced collar-beam trusses with strutted upper
king posts and carved bosses.
Listing NGR: NZ3134374810
Other nearby listed buildings