This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8649 / 50°51'53"N
Longitude: 0.0686 / 0°4'6"E
OS Eastings: 545665
OS Northings: 109307
OS Grid: TQ456093
Mapcode National: GBR LRH.L63
Mapcode Global: FRA C61T.6K2
Entry Name: The Garden Wall with Carriage Entrance, South East of Glynde Place
Listing Date: 20 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1043919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292944
Location: Glynde, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Glynde
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Glynde St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
The garden wall with
south-east of Glynde Place
TQ 4509 31/527A 20.8.65.
Built between 1755 and 1760 by John Morris of Lewes for Dr Richard Trevor,
Bishop of Durham. On the east side the wall is faced with squared knapped
flints and has 9 blind arches of red brick with a brick stringcourse between.
The carriage drive passes through the centre of the wall with on each side
of it, a gate-post of squared knapped flints edged with red brick with cornice
and plinth over, on which stands a lead figure of a wyvern. The arch immediately
on each side of each pier is a narrower than the others and set in a curve.
On the west side the wall is faced with cobbles and the gate piers wholly
with red brick.
Listing NGR: TQ4566509307
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings