History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanstead Bury

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7819 / 51°46'54"N

Longitude: 0.028 / 0°1'40"E

OS Eastings: 539990

OS Northings: 211190

OS Grid: TL399111

Mapcode National: GBR LDD.7WP

Mapcode Global: VHHM5.FGNW

Entry Name: Stanstead Bury

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1051056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355938

Location: Stanstead Abbots, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS ROYDON ROAD (OFF)
(north side)
Tarbets Hill
5/38 Stanstead Bury

4.12.51

GV II*

Manor house of Stanstead. Oldest part is SW wing, late C15 for
Abbey of Waltham; 1563 additions to N and E of neuclius; mid C17
range to SW (demolished in early C19) 1689 E range remodelled for
Edmund Field as principle front; after 1802 S front refaced for
Robert Jocelyn; 1930-31 N wing built, entrance moved to W and
accretions removed by E G Cole for Sir William Gosselin Trower
(RCHM Typescript). Heraldic stained glass dated 1563 in chamber
over W door. Timberframing, generally plastered but exposed on
stair turret; C16 and later red brick largely plastered over, but
exposed on W and N. Steep red tiled roof. A compact irregular
large house of 2-storeys and attics presenting formal symmetrical
fronts to E and S. SW wing is the original timberframed hall-
range with crown-post roof, now cased in C18 red brick and with
inserted floor and attics. C16 brick range, added to E of hall
refaced and plastered in early C!9 to form S front. Square C16
brick block added to NE of hall, with parlour and chamber over
and semi-octagonal turnpike stair turret with decorative exposed
timberframing. A 3rd storey added in C17 timberframing, and
timber bellcote over roofs to S. The E range of 2-storeys,
attics and cellar contains the principal rooms and central
staircase. The present entrance is into an old gabled brick rear
range on its E side which appears to have been unaltered in 1689
when the main range was altered and remodelled as a tall
symmetrical brick building with steep tiled hipped roof,
modillioned eaves cornice, advanced centre, 2, 3 and 2 tall
windows (triangular pediment over lower central window formerly
the main door) and 4 dormer windows in the roof slope with
triangular and curved pediments, a b b a. C17 leaded casement
cross windows to dormers and 1-window on N wall under a flat
gauged arch. Elsewhere replaced by flush box sashes with 6/9
panes. S front of stucco symmetrical, 2 storeys and 3-windows,
with advanced centre and steep hipped roof. Ground floor
openings set in round arched recessed panels. Central half-
glazed door with panelled fanlight. Recessed sash windows with
9/6 panes below and 6/6 above. Modillioned eaves and moulded
cornice. Interior has c1690 stair hall with bolection moulded
oak panelling, cornice, cut string oak stair with carved and
fluted balusters, with group of 4 to wreath at bottom, stone
floor with black marble dots, and similar bolection panelling and
fine cornices in E range. Jacobean wooden Doric columns to
support upper floor in dairy (former C16 parlour), turnpike stair
with central pole in turret, moulded and stopped wooden opening
on 1st floor over entrance hall, C18 cast iron firebasket with
classical reliefs in 1st floor E room, and a marble fire surround
with fluted coloured inlay in S range. Ground floor (which may
have been introduced c1930). RCHM (1911) 210: VCH (1912) 369:
RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3999011190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.