History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigginton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9976 / 51°59'51"N

Longitude: -1.434 / 1°26'2"W

OS Eastings: 438958

OS Northings: 233393

OS Grid: SP389333

Mapcode National: GBR 6S4.Q8G

Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.318Y

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361474

Location: Wigginton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Wigginton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wigginton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

WIGGINTON DASH LAKE
SP3833
(East side)
11/112 Manor Farmhouse
- II
Farmhouse. Probably C17/C18 with later modification. Regular coursed
ironstone rubble, C20 tile roof. 3 brick stacks, the one on right end has
stone base. L-plan. Garden front: 2-unit part to right, 2-storey wing to
left. Right part: Single storey plus attic, 3-window range. Off-centre
entrance to left has wide panelled door with glazed panel, plain wood surround
and wooden lintel. 4-light metal casement to right. 3-light metal casement to
left has keystoned flat arch. Three 2-light casements to attic. Wing to left
has bay window with hipped Welsh slate roof; 3-light metal casements to first
floor with stop chamfered lintel; steeply pitched gabled roof with stone
copings. History: John Blount was assessed for 5 hearths at Manor Farm in
1665. When George Blount died in 1700 his house was described as having a
hall, parlour, kitchen, out-kitchen and buttery. There were: chambers over the
hall and parlour as well as a 'best' and 'middle' chamber; closet and a
'garret'. Interior not inspected.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p,160).


Listing NGR: SP3895833393

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.